This week in science we investigated the best material to use to muffle a sound. The children, in groups, decided how they were going to carry out their investigations - thinking about the thing they were going to change and all the other things they then needed to keep the same. We had an interesting discussion at the end of their investigations about what they had found out and they explained how the testing wasn't completely fair as some of the materials tested were of a different thickness to others. However, they have discovered that paper would be absolutely useless for using to make ear defenders as it didn't seem to muffle sound very much at all - some groups ran out of paper for testing and the sound could still be heard fairly easily!
This week we have been using our multiplication skills to help solve some problems. One of the problems was to measure and scale up a small version of part of a Mondrian image. The children used the grid method with confidence to increase each of the measurements by 3, 6 or 8. The trickier part was then measuring out these new lengths and organising them to look like the original. I am really pleased with what they finally produced - they have used their mathematics skills really well.
During our history lesson today we found out about some of the different mythical creatures that were often included in Greek myths. We then tried to recreate some of them using clay. Well done class - I'm really impressed with how similar they looked to the pictures we used!
Keep an eye on the blog - more pictures to follow!
For Children in Need this year we decided to raise money by having a lucky dip and guess the number of 'things' in the jar in class today. It was such an exciting time that I completely forgot to take any photographs! Well done to all the winners of the lucky dip and jars.
Mrs MacFarlane and the hard working children of Hamilton