We had 5 different activities set up and the children got the chance to carry out each of these.
Our activities were:
1. Dice- In pairs the children rolled a die each. They the wrote the numbers they had rolled down as an addition sum and worked out the answer together.
2. Estimation - The children closed their eyes and picked up a handful of counters. They then opened their hand and estimated how many counters they thought they had picked up. Next,they counted out how many counters they had to see how close they were to the total.
3. Number Bingo - The children each had a bingo board. One person on the table then read out simple addition and subtraction problems. The children playing would then check if they had the answer on their bingo board, and if they did, cover with a counter. The first to cover all their numbers was the winner.
4. Number cards - Number cards were placed face down on the table. In pairs, children would turn over a card each and write the 2 numbers down as an addition sum and work the answer out together.
5. Twister & Fly swats - An adult called out an addition or subtraction number problem. The children had to look at the numbered post-it notes that had been placed on the twister circles to find the correct answer. Once they had found the answer they would 'swat' it with the fly swat.
Take a look at the photos from the lesson.....